Privacy Policy | Print Page | Report Abuse | Sign In | Become a Member!
Retaining a record in physical format
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

05/02/2018 at 15:05:27 GMT
Retaining a record in physical format
Dear All I wondered if you might be able to assist me with the following which I am keen to fully understand as I work with University Departments in relation to the management of their records. My question is have you encountered any instances where your organisation has been required to maintain a physical copy of a record even if (a) digitsation of the record in line with BS100082-104 is an option or (b) an electronic rendition of the record exists? If it is a yes to either or both parts of this question then I would be grateful for any background information that you can provide on the type of record and the rationale for its ongoing retention in physical format. Many thanks Kind regards Mark Camilletti

19/02/2018 at 09:05:50 GMT
Hi Mark

I have implemented a BS10008 compliant scanning solution in West Lothian Council. The culture of 'keep everything just in case' has been very difficult to change and I wouldn't say that we have completely eradicated this practice as yet. To help reduce resistance, I asked our Internal Audit to verify that the scanned record will be acceptable under audit. Once confirmed, I was able to give confidence to the teams here that the electronic record is just as good as paper, if not better. The only areas where we particularly allow paper are where the documents don't and cant exist electronically. For example, old title deeds must be held in their original format. I have also been tackling signed contracts as this was an area where there was a lot of resistance to disposing of the paper record once scanned. There is always a risk, though rather small for us, that the electronic record can be challenged. However, with robust processes in place this is likely to be low. Hope this helps!

20/02/2018 at 09:20:57 GMT
This is very helpful - thank you very much.

Contact Us

Chester House
68 Chestergate
Macclesfield, SK11 6DY
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 (0)1625 664520
Fax: +44 (0)1625 664510

Email: info@irms.org.uk

Follow Us
Become A Member

With a bi-monthly magazine, annual conference, accreditation possibilities and a competitively priced annual membership, there really is no reason why you shouldn't join this fantastic society!

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are used for visitor analysis, others are essential to making our site function properly and improve the user experience. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Click Accept to consent and dismiss this message or Deny to leave this website. Read our Privacy Statement for more.