Supporting a New Generation in Digital Preservation
21 November 2017
Posted by: Joe Chapman
The DPC Student Conference returns in January 2018
The IRMS is once again supporting the Digital Preservation Coalition's popular student conference, to be held at Senate House in London on 24th January 2018.
Entitled 'What I Wish I Knew Before I Started', the event is aimed at researchers and new professionals - as well as students - in archives, records management and librarianship, offering practical workplace skills in the evolving and expanding field of digital preservation.
Delivered in partnership with CoSector at the University of London, the IRMS, ARA, Arkivum, Preservica and Mirror Web, the conference will bring a select group of leading practitioners together with the next generation of archivists, records managers and librarians to discuss the challenges of managing and preserving digital records.
This conference will:
- Provide participants with a core grounding in applied digital preservation
- Provide an overview of emerging trends in digital preservation
- Present practical examples of the sorts skills that employers are looking from in staff working in digital preservation
- Present role models of practitioners whose careers have taken them to leading positions in digital preservation
- Allow delegates to question practitioners about their day-to-day work and the skills that they reply upon
The event will be of interest to:
- Students and recent graduates in library and archive schools
- Students and recent graduates in information management and records management
- Tutors, lecturers and course conveners in library and archive schools, or who teach records management or information governance
- Innovators, vendors and commentators on digital preservation and cognate fields
- Employers seeking to understand the skills needed to operate digital preservation facilities or seeking to recruit new entrants
Places are strictly limited and should be booked as early as possible as demand is likely to be high. Registration is free for IRMS members, as well as members of ARA and the DPC. The cost is £15 per person for all other delegates. Members should enter the promotional code DPCMEMBER to benefit from the discount.
Please register for the conference via Eventbrite. If you have any queries about the event, email Sharon McMeekin. For more information about the IRMS award-winning Digital Preservation Coalition, visit www.dpconline.org.