Benefits of Membership
The IRMS is the foremost association for all information professionals, with over 1000 members in around 30 countries and territories worldwide, across the public, private and voluntary sectors. Our mission is to provide leadership in records and information management by supporting and promoting activity within the profession and being active in advocacy and collaboration.
With effective information management increasingly recognised as an essential requirement in the digital age, join us to make sure you benefit from the shared knowledge and expertise of our 1000 members, and stay one step ahead in this exciting and ever-changing sector.
Benefits of Membership
The IRMS is renowned for its inclusivity, which flows through everything we do. Membership of the Society offers a wide range of benefits, including -
Develop as a Professional
- Professional accreditation of skills and experience available to all members, regardless of formal educational attainment
- Eligibility for our annual industry awards, recognising and rewarding excellence by individuals and organisations
- Collective contribution to the development of the sector, including new resources, standards and legislation
- Use of IRMS logo, demonstrating authoritative knowledge and a commitment to continuous professional development
Access to Knowledge
- Our thought-leading magazine, the Bulletin, delivered direct to your home, office or inbox for free, every 2 months
- Our monthly e-newsletter, Off the Record, keeping you up-to-date with news and events from the IRMS and wider sector
- Extensive online content, including the Bulletin archive, our supplier directory, and other resources donated by industry experts
- Exclusive IRMS member discounts on training courses and events by leading suppliers
Be part of a Community
- Free and preferential access to over 30 in-demand events by over a dozen geographical and special interest groups every year
- Discounted rates for our annual Conference – Europe’s premier Information and Records Management event
- Reserved places at events hosted by our affiliated organisations
- Extensive network of peers and mentors providing invaluable access to a range of informal and practical advice and support
Types of Membership
Corporate: £350.00 p/a
Great value for companies and public-sector organisations alike - includes up to 5 transferable online accounts, multiple copies of the IRMS Bulletin, and discounted advertising via a range of channels, and offers your staff all of the benefits of an individual membership.
Individual: £80.00 p/a
Suited to a wide range of information management professionals - includes discounted rates at our annual Conference, unlimited attendance and preferential access to Groups and partners' events, an electronic or hard copy of the IRMS Bulletin, our monthly email newsletter, valuable online resources and networking tools, and eligibility for professional accreditation regardless of formal educational attainment.
Affiliate: £40.00 p/a
Designed for those who are unemployed, have retired from paid professional activity, or live outside the UK and Ireland - includes unlimited attendance at Groups events, an electronic copy of the IRMS Bulletin, our monthly email newsletter, and valuable online resources and networking tools.
Student: £0.00 p/a - yes, free!
A great offer for those undertaking full-time study at degree level or equivalent in information and records management - offers all of the benefits of affiliate membership, without the cost! Please ensure you provide details of your course and student status when applying and upon renewal.
NOTE: The IRMS Executive approved the move to a rolling membership model. This will enable new members join at any time of the year and receive a full year of membership. A rolling membership is one that begins on the day it is purchased or approved by the IRMS. For example, an anniversary membership purchased on 03 August 2018 will begin on 03 August 2018 and end on 02 August 2019.
The IRMS is on the Approved Professional Organisations register for claiming tax relief on ‘professional fees and subscriptions’ under the Income Tax (Earnings & Pensions) Act 2003.
This allows you to claim a percentage of your membership fee back from HMRC as income tax relief, when you pay for your IRMS membership yourself - i.e. it is not paid for or reimbursed by your employer.
For those that have their membership paid or reimbursed by their employer, the organisation can seek some tax relief - just let your payroll team know we are on the register and they can make the claim.
The exact rate you are eligible to claim varies depending on your personal income tax position as determined by HMRC therefore this will vary from member to member. Please note this does not apply to our student or honorary members, who pay no fees.
More information, including how to apply for this relief, can be found on the GOV.UK website. If you have any queries on how this relates to the IRMS please get in touch. If you have a query about the application process itself, please contact the HMRC helpdesk as we are unable to advise on this.