Volunteer opportunities currently available at the IRMS!
We are looking to recruit some volunteers for 3 officer posts. One of the roles is an existing one that has been helping us develop our commercial portfolio while the other two are new and will help us in the important areas of Conference operations and Training development. Summaries of each role are below with details of how to apply and the closing dates.
The current IRMS Strategy is to work with providers to develop and gain access to existing training programmes for the benefit of our members. We have been making good progress with that strategy with a growing range of training offers now available however in order to maintain that growth another pair of hands is needed. Therefore, if you have experience working with training providers, contracts or coordination, or have some ideas for training development that you'd like to work with us on take a look at the role profile and see details below for how to apply.
Midlands Group Chair
The Midlands Group Chair is looking to step away now that she has taken up the role of Groups Director. Therefore we are looking for a volunteer to help lead our Midlands group. The role includes (as an example of the main duties);
- Organising 3 events a year (structure and format left down to you) in the Midlands area, including sourcing speakers, venues and encouraging delegates to attend.
- Promotion of the event seeking support from the IRMS comms team where required.
- Management of the groups annual budget, working with support from the IRMS finance team and Treasurer.
- Interaction with and promotion of the Midlands online forum on the IRMS website.
- Attendance at IRMS Conference (at a special discounted rate for group chairs).
If you are interested or wish to know more then please email email@example.com for more details.
SharePoint & Office 365 Group Volunteer
This is a role to support the current group chair in organising the 3 meetings they have each year. Managing the firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox to respond to any queries and help promote the group and its events to the membership and wider profession. If you are interested or wish to know more about the role please contact our Groups Director at email@example.com.
Roles up for nomination in 2019
The roles marked with a * are roles where the current role holder is seeking to stand down from that role at May 2019 AGM when the role term ends.
- Chair (one-year term)
- Vice-Chair* (one-year term)
- Secretary* (two-year term)
- Treasurer (two-year term)
- Director*, with the remit of Marketing (2-year term)
- Director, with a remit of developing our Membership (2-year term)
- Director, with a remit of developing and supporting our Training programme (2-year term)
For these roles, details of how to nominate for the role, and when nominations open, can be found at www.irms.org.uk/2019execnominations.
Benefits of volunteering for the IRMS
Volunteering for any organisation has it's benefits as well as it's drawbacks. When you volunteer for the IRMS our current volunteers all agree these would definitely be some of the benefits;
- Experience working with different areas and tasks outside those normally associated with Information & Records Managers. At our annual strategic meeting for example all volunteers on the Executive are invited to contribute and throw around ideas to help develop and sustain the Society
- Leadership and Project Management Experience. You are given support throughout your time as a volunteer but you are also encouraged to be self-motivated and lead on your own tasks and projects in support of the IRMS Strategy
- Collaborative remote working experience. We use G:Suite and other electronic tools to help communicate and work together on tasks.
- Access to a range of professionals at various stages of their careers that make up the IRMS volunteers. We are a supportive friendly bunch that not only help each other with our IRMS tasks but often will also bounce ideas off of each other for issues or matters we face in the day jobs as well.
- Experience working with people from all over the UK and from a wide range of sectors. Currently we have volunteers from both the public and private sectors and from London, to Scotland to all the way over to Ireland.
- Subsidised attendance at our annual Conference. The Executive are expected to attend the annual conference and AGM therefore your place is subsidised by the IRMS. However, all of the Executive are expected to be on duty while you are there and you are often asked to host sessions, support delegates, man the IRMS stand and other tasks that may come up during Conference.
- Extra content for the CV. Showing that you are willing to give up your time to help run such a society shows a commitment to the profession and your own development. Therefore it looks very good on the CV when you're looking for a new role.
- It does take time, but life and work comes first. It will require some time to be a volunteer of the IRMS however we operate an ethos of work and home first, then comes the IRMS. Our work plan and expectations of our volunteers, especially the Officers, are all designed to be flexible and eat into your spare time as little as possible.
- Starting as an officer is a great way in to other roles. Sometimes going for one of the Constitutional Roles can be quite daunting to those outside of the Executive. Therefore coming on board as an officer first can often be a good way for you to see we aren't kidding when we mean these are the benefits and this is how we work. And if you like it and feel you can, you can then go on to seek nomination for one of the more senior roles - one day even nomination for Chair!
How to apply
If you are currently a member of the IRMS and want to get involved with the Society as an officer then submit your CV and a covering letter via email to the following email addresses.
Training Officer = please email Sarah Norman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Groups Roles = please email Jaana Pinnick at email@example.com.
Constitutional Roles up for nomination = please visit the Exec Nominations page of the our website.
You are also very welcome to speak to any member of the team about the above about the roles or any member of the leadership team about working with us if you have any queries or concerns.