Volunteer opportunities currently available at the IRMS!
Here is our current list of vacancies, including a summary of each role and details of how to apply. See below for the benefits of volunteering with the IRMS.
Digital & Training Officer
The IRMS have an exciting new position looking for a volunteer. The Digital & Training Officer will provide support to both the Digital and Training Directors.
On the Digital side you will be looking after content updates and assisting our administrator with member queries regarding the website.
On the Training side you will be helping with creating and maintaining relationships with new and existing training providers.
Therefore, this role is particularly suited to someone with experience of working with websites or training providers, contracts or coordination, or if you have some ideas for training development that you'd like to work with us on.
Take a look at the role profile for more details. If you are an IRMS member and want to get involved with the Society then submit your CV and a covering letter via email to Sarah Norman (email@example.com) and Neil Reeves (firstname.lastname@example.org).
CLOSING DATE: 30th September 2019
You are also very welcome to speak to any member of the team about working with us if you have any queries or concerns.
Benefits of volunteering for the IRMS
Volunteering for any organisation has it's benefits as well as it's drawbacks. When you volunteer for the IRMS our current volunteers all agree these would definitely be some of the benefits;
- Experience working with different areas and tasks outside those normally associated with Information & Records Managers. At our annual strategic meeting for example all volunteers on the Executive are invited to contribute and throw around ideas to help develop and sustain the Society
- Leadership and Project Management Experience. You are given support throughout your time as a volunteer but you are also encouraged to be self-motivated and lead on your own tasks and projects in support of the IRMS Strategy
- Collaborative remote working experience. We use G:Suite and other electronic tools to help communicate and work together on tasks.
- Access to a range of professionals at various stages of their careers that make up the IRMS volunteers. We are a supportive friendly bunch that not only help each other with our IRMS tasks but often will also bounce ideas off of each other for issues or matters we face in the day jobs as well.
- Experience working with people from all over the UK and from a wide range of sectors. Currently we have volunteers from both the public and private sectors and from London, to Scotland to all the way over to Ireland.
- Subsidised attendance at our annual Conference. The Executive are expected to attend the annual conference and AGM therefore your place is subsidised by the IRMS. However, all of the Executive are expected to be on duty while you are there and you are often asked to host sessions, support delegates, man the IRMS stand and other tasks that may come up during Conference.
- Extra content for the CV. Showing that you are willing to give up your time to help run such a society shows a commitment to the profession and your own development. Therefore it looks very good on the CV when you're looking for a new role.
- It does take time, but life and work comes first. It will require some time to be a volunteer of the IRMS however we operate an ethos of work and home first, then comes the IRMS. Our work plan and expectations of our volunteers, especially the Officers, are all designed to be flexible and eat into your spare time as little as possible.
- Starting as an officer is a great way in to other roles. Sometimes going for one of the Constitutional Roles can be quite daunting to those outside of the Executive. Therefore coming on board as an officer first can often be a good way for you to see we aren't kidding when we mean these are the benefits and this is how we work. And if you like it and feel you can, you can then go on to seek nomination for one of the more senior roles - one day even nomination for Chair!